Comparing everyone's news sources had a surprisingly strange effect on me. It made me realize that I am not alone when it comes to my lack of news sources. Many of us stated that we were lacking in any major source, and I did not feel like an outsider like I felt I would. I would love to be informed when it came to the news, but it just takes time that I do not have. True, I do spend an abnormally large amount of time on Facebook, but at the same time, I am also doing other stuff on the Internet, such as looking up random things on Wikipedia or shopping. Many of us also relied on others to gather what is going on in the world. Reflecting on this is actually a bit frightening—many of us are either missing huge events that are going on in the world, or if we hear something about it, it is not necessarily accurate or the full story, and almost certainly not unbiased. We're the future of our country, and if we do not know everything that is going on, then our country is in very dangerous hands indeed. There were a few of us, however, that did watch a news source (though I was expecting many more). I was disappointed by those that watch FOX news, though. The station resorts to scare tactics and is infamous for its super-conservative mindset and take on news stories. It is quite similar to what Hedges talks about in his article, where people use the Internet to read news that only catered to his or her interests.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have to agree with you on Fox News. That they allow someone as paranoid and out of touch with reality as Glenn Beck to have his own show seriously calls into question their legitimacy as a news network.
ReplyDeleteThose of you questioning Fox's legitimacy as a news channel might appreciate this commentary by Rachel Maddow:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-AV-YiZ1Us