Sunday, October 25, 2009

Blog Post 3

Reading the New York Times has been surprisingly educational (I know, that sounds odd). It was surprisingly educational because I learned things I did not know would even be in the newspaper. For example, I learned that medical marijuana is legal in California, but a large amount of dispensaries have opened and are turning a profit, becoming a real problem (though, if no one is getting hurt, I fail to see the problem). A six-year-old Cub Scout in Delaware was suspended from his elementary school because he brought a camping utensil set with which to eat his lunch. Why? Because it had a small two inch knife to cut food. I learned that a particle accelerator in Switzerland may be potentially sabotaging itself from the future because the particles it would create are so abhorred by nature. If a human decreases the amount of calories his body requires in a day by 25%, his body temperature drops, arteries clear, and years are added to his life. All of these little tidbits and more have jumped into my mind, some of which are so intriguing that reading them almost surpasses the time that I learned that antimatter is real and has been created in a laboratory and that everything may be made up by waves. Sadly, I have been skipping out on those more "pertinent" articles—the ones dealing with the Middle East, or the government, or the economy. All in all, I feel my decisions are largely better now, because I have had insight on some of them, and I generally feel more educated.

1 comment:

  1. All of those articles you mention sound like excellent conversation starters. And those were found in just one week of reading the paper.

    ReplyDelete