Thursday, November 5, 2009

Blog Post 7

At first, upon reading the prompt for this post, I drew a blank. Where could I ever find such a thing? I was (obviously) having a "slow moment," as I like to call it. After a few seconds it hit me—almost all blog posts are somehow forwarding. So, being the enterprising young scholar that I am, I pulled up The Daily Kos, and sure enough, almost all of the posts were forwarding in some fashion. Which did I decide on? This one! I would use quotes as examples; however, the blog post itself is a video. I picked this one because it is strictly forwarding (specifically illustration), yet it still makes a statement. The author, Jed Lewison, created a montage of FOX News coverage of the New York 23rd District congressional race between Dede Scozzafava, Doug Hoffman, and Bill Owens, and uses the video to point out the extreme bias of FOX News and to point out the hypocrisy in the station. The video, made up of a series of clips from over 2 hours worth of source material, starts off with the claim that the election is turning into "a battle for the heart and soul of the Republican Party." As the video continues, the reporters of FOX News obviously frown upon both the Democratic candidate, Owens, and, strangely enough, the Republican candidate, Scozzafava, while showing clear support for the Conservative party candidate, Hoffman. Why was the Republican candidate between the crosshairs? She was not conservative enough. Later on, the clips show the station celebrating the polls with Hoffman ahead in this "important" election, but to their surprise, Hoffman loses to Owens. After this occurs, a reporter is shown somberly saying that he felt the election was "grossly exaggerated" election in a "rather obscure congressional district," and claims the real civil war in politics are among Democrats. I consider myself a Democrat, and this civil war is news to me. Of course, Lewison could not have included all of the source material and get his point across in a timely, convenient manner, so he left out a good hour and fifty minutes worth (though it was probably repeating itself as most news channels do). Other than that, nothing is altered. The true essence of the broadcast remains, which ultimately contradicts itself.

1 comment:

  1. Haha everyone has their slow moments every once in a while. Good job of thinking outside the box with a video blog post. Most people probably showed a regular blog like me.

    ReplyDelete