How are the blog that I am following and the New York Times related? At first glance, the two are utterly unrelated. But a reader of both can make connections with the inner workings off both. Like the New York Times, the Paris Blog is comprised of many authors, each giving a different view of Paris and life within it. They both provide the quirky, off-beat articles that I love to read. There is one main difference between the two; the New York Times supplies me with more factual information and told from the third person, whereas the Paris Blog is much more opinionated and deeply personal. Even then, I am still learning from the blog. What kinds of things am I learning? If I did not start following this blog, how would I know that there is a fair-trade chocolate store in the 17éme arronidissement or that there is a crisis-hotline for English-speaking residents of Paris? Though it is true that this does not help me now, it will help me when I accomplish my goal of living in Paris. Even if, for some strange reason, that I never accomplish that goal, it is still educational—though not necessarily in a factual way. In some fashion, this blog is already letting me live in Paris, through the posts of the authors. It is, more or less, a trial run just so I can see if I like Paris (and so far, I do!). I am also learning about the human experience—an artistic view of life—through it. The New York Times is also educational, but mostly in a factual way. Even though it is a good thing, it still feels "cold" when compared to the blog. The blog would almost certainly fall into the category of peers—they just feel so personal. The New York Times is definitely still in the press category.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You want to live in Paris? That is pretty neat!
ReplyDeleteIt is good that you found a blog that truly interests you and could serve a purpose in your future. This shows that blogging isn't just a bunch of useless thoughts by random people with too much free time. This blog in some way does provide you with information that is helpful and could have an impact on where you live in the future.
Very interesting!
I agree. Pretty good connections between the similarities and differences between the blogs. I like how you applied it to your life as well.
ReplyDelete