Sunday, September 27, 2009

Blog Post 9: Reflections

Before walking into English on the first day of classes, if one would have told me that I would be blogging in English, I would have reacted one of these two ways: I would have been very skeptical, or I would have been dreading it. In all honesty I found blogging (and writing in general) to be a bore. I also did not regard blogging as writing on a collegiate level. I had no prior experience with either writing or reading blogs. Ignorance, in this case, was definitely not bliss. I had no idea what I was missing out on—news, gossip, opinions, and everything else can be found in a blog, and I had almost no idea! And better yet, all of this information can be reflected upon to view subjects in a completely different light, something everyone can stand to practice every now and then, just for the sake of making life more peaceful.

Still, I will admit, writing is not a favorite activity of mine, nor will it ever be a hobby (well, as of right now, at least). The blogs also came with a difficult side: starting. Writing an introduction is a bit difficult for me. This is very discouraging when you are O. C. D. like me, and you have to write everything in order, or it just bothers you to no end. I also learned that writing comes easily once the screen on Microsoft Word has more black on it than white—that white screen which I have stared blankly at before many a paper poured from my fingers, drops at first, but then becoming a waterfall. Better yet, as the reader with "new literacy" skills would prefer, writing blogs were a piece of cake after I had some of it finished.

I have also found myself looking at more intellectual websites, though my Facebook addiction is still here and will be for quite some time.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the honesty here, Luke. I realize that writing isn't going to be everybody's favorite thing. Plus, writing is hard.

    Part of that hardness is introductions. Next time you're stuck on an introduction, you might go look at the introductions of some articles you liked. Seeing the moves other people made in their introductions can help you do something similar in your own. At least, that works for me.

    ReplyDelete